Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

23 Days

The countdown has begun! Only 23 days until I fly to Hartford, CT for my regional music therapy conference. The interesting thing is that, belonging to the AMTA (American Music Therapy Association) but living in Canada, I don't really have a region. However, I have several friends in the New England Region, so they invited me to the regional conference a few years ago. Now I have quite a few more friends in the region that has adopted me. It's great, and I look forward to attending the conference each spring. I get to keep up with current music therapy research, earn CMTE (continuing music therapy education) credits (I need 100 every 5 years to maintain my Board Certification status, and I'm NEVER writing that exam again!!), and most importantly, I get to socialize with friends I only see once or twice a year.

Okay, the socializing and the shopping are probably the two things I look forward to the most. Yes, I enjoy my profession, but seriously. . . Bath & Bodyworks, Bass Shoes, and many beer/martini/wine/Baileys with friends, and no kids?! Which would be your favourite part? Last year, Petunia, Bert, G, K and I all went to a disco/seventies night. This shows how much we all love Bert. I've never seen her so happy, dancing up a storm, having many Sour Apple martinis. Frankly, I had enough of the Bee Gees that night to last until I die. This year, G and I, and hopefully Peaches and Petunia, are looking for an Eighties night. Duran Duran, Madonna, a little "Tainted Love" - works for me! Petunia is also planning a "stitch and bitch" evening, but is welcoming those of us who don't knit (that would be me!). I figure that I can contribute to the bitch part - hey, we all have to excel at something. And I'm hoping that CT has the wonderful beer that I discovered last year at the conference in VT. I can't remember the name of the brewery, but there was a Fat Angel beer, and something like a Seventh Heaven or Cloud Nine. Feel free to inform me more fully before I go!

The other cool thing about the NER conference is that it usually falls near my birthday. Last year, Bert, Petunia and I drove from MA to VT on my actual birthday. Peaches wished my a great one when we picked Petunia up (it was great to see her, and on the Sunday, too - so glad she's coming this year!). Petunia had gone all out - she got me a cake, make me a birthday crown, and the BEST slippers (comfy, funky, and most importantly - did not make my feet stink after many, many months of wearing). I was surprised, to say the least. Bert, as always, got me a whole bunch of Bath & Bodyworks - awesome! It was weird not to spend my birthday with my family, but they made it so special, and I wasn't homesick at all. Please don't get me wrong, it wasn't just the gifts. Rather, it was the way they all tried to make my day special. Thanks, guys!!

So. . . 23 days. I have my passport ready. I just hope the airline doesn't lose my bag (again!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

You're talking about Magic Hat Brewery in Vermont. You're right--they have great beer!

Tue Mar 07, 10:27:00 a.m.  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

Definitly good beer! That was fun drinking beer and playing Cowboy Junkies songs on the guitar. You even sang along. Magic Hat Brewery is very good too. I am looking forward to seeing you agian this year.

Tue Mar 07, 08:43:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Hashbrown, I'm pretty sure that I did NOT sing along!!! Maybe this year - I'm working on it!

Tue Mar 07, 11:08:00 p.m.  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

I clearly remember that you said you were brave enough to sing along that day. Perhaps you had too many Fat Angels or Magic Hat #9s.

Wed Mar 08, 05:27:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home