Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Divide and Conquer

A very big thank you to Lola for the perennials she was dividing, and letting me take. She called and left a message on Sunday "This is a time-sensitive call. I will be dividing a whole bunch of plants, mostly groundcover, and you're welcome to them. Come soon, because I'm not saving anything". She must have called just before we got home. I phoned as soon as I got the message - "I'm coming, don't throw anything out!!!!" She laughed, as she knew I'd get in touch quickly - the siren song of the garden is a pretty strong pull for me.

Lola's crescent runs into ours, divided by a road that is the main egress from our community. I can see her driveway from Corwin's window, and can see her yard as soon as I turn the corner. She was outside, as was her hubby. He chuckled and said "Here comes Canada". He couldn't see me, but he could sure hear me - I was pulling my trusty garden cart along. Man, the plastic wheels are even louder than the kids' wagon wheels! Obnoxious, yes, but it didn't deter me in the least.

So we went to work, cutting and digging. I ended up with a load of creeping thyme, lemon thyme, sedum, and forget-me-nots. And a toad (there was a tiny one in Lola's garden, and we have a toad house. I must check to see if he's still there). I got the tour of her garden, and she updated me on her planting plans. This week, I will be dividing some of my perennials and contributing to her landscape design (I have too much yellow, she wants more. Happy all around). Then Lola walked home with me so she could check out my new trees (the magnolia is blooming!), and see how well my Acer Palmatum "Bloodgood" (Japanese Maple) is doing this year. As we walked back, we both commented on how the temperature was dropping. Right after completing the grand tour, it started to rain, so Lola headed off home to a warm bath. And I started randomly planting groundcover divisions in the garden, just so they wouldn't dry out and die. Brrr!

Later the same evening, I heard the forecast - frost and wet flurries possible. Which prompted me to run about in the rain and wind to move all my annuals into the garage so they wouldn't be killed before getting into their earthy beds. Luckily, the weather is supposed to improve in a few days. Forecast - me, up to my elbows in dirt, with a smile on my face!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pray for our plants canada!!!!
next time it's garden and cocktail time!!!!!
can you say pomtini!!!!
:)LOLA

Tue May 23, 09:40:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Don't you mean pomtiniS? (plural!)

Tue May 23, 11:52:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home