Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A Great Weekend

Even before the weekend began, it started well. Friday afternoon, I gave a talk to a friend's grade 5 class and another teacher's grade 6 class all about music and recorders and flute and music therapy. I brought my flute, piccolo, and soprano recorder (you know, the $8 instrument that you learned a few notes on in elementary school, the one you now hide from your kids/nieces/nephews/etc because of the piercing whistle it makes when they blow in it?). The kids are learning soprano recorder, but I also borrowed from the recorder ensemble I belong to (did I mention that previously?) an alto, tenor and bass recorder. I was nervous, but the kids were interested, and I even played (beyond a few notes to demo the sound) something on the soprano, the piccolo, and my flute. They were so pleased that I have been asked back to present to the other 2 classes who are learning recorder. Coming soon to a school near you!

Friday in the early evening, I went to the barn where my friend's mother boards her horse. I had never been before, but I was so thrilled to be asked to go. The other horses there are all trotters (standardbreds), and several still race. I got to groom Fanny, who never raced because of a broken knee when she was a foal, but went on to produce winning racing progeny, including Annie, who still resides there, and still races. The highlight was getting to sit on a bed of hay in Beauty's stall, next to her 2 day old foal, a colt called Dude (definitely a stable name, not his registered one!). He was gorgeous, and so soft. Beauty was very calm and placid, and was happy to allow me in - once I'd paid her cover charge of a carrot! Dude stood up on his impossibly long, spindly legs, and let me stroke his neck. Heaven.

Friday evening was capped with a movie outing with V. We went to see Mission:Impossible III (her pick). As much as Tom Cruise annoys the crap out of me (I've never been a fan), the movie was entertaining - good action, etc. And Jonathan Rhys-Meyers. (great lips! And an Irish accent)

Saturday was wonderful. Clara went to ballet, Corwin went to a birthday party. After lunch, we all went to bid Hubby's parents Bon Voyage - they were leaving the next day for their Alaska cruise. And then we dropped the kids off at Hubby's Middle sister's for their first sleepover. Woo hoo!! They were SO excited, but not nearly as much as we (I) were. (Hubby's a little bit of a worrier. Not that I'm not, but they're five and a half, and his sister is completely awesome). We came home and I grabbed a shower while he got a few things done, and then we went out for dinner to Pancho Villa. We hadn't been there since we had the kids, although we drive by it every Sunday on the way to church. It was busy, but we got a table right away, and had a lovely dinner (mmmmm, guacamole. mmmmmm, Sangria), and then we even managed to go to a movie. Hubby picked RV, very funny in a National Lampoon's Vacation way.

Sunday morning was so peaceful. There was no mad rush to get the kids fed and organized and ready for church. I even got to sit at the table to enjoy my coffee. Hubby dropped me off at 9:30 (choir practice, the service is at 10:15), and went for a walk. The service itself was really cool. There was a "Non-Wedding". You see, since the Anglican Church is still hashing out policy, the clergy had to agree not to perform same-sex marriages until this decision is made. I think that the church will split over it one day, but as that hasn't happened yet, our Ministers are following the rules. Technically. So, this couple, who have been together for 30 years, decided they wanted to get married. Since the wedding can't take place in the church, but they are very much a part of the congregation, they scheduled their wedding for the afternoon at a nearby community centre. And invited 200 of their closest friends and relatives to attend church beforehand. It was packed!! All of the wedding-goers were very dressed up. It was beautiful. Garth, our minister, talked about the nuptials-to-be during the sermon. And at the end of the service, both Garth and Linda (an associate minister, who is herself a lesbian in a same-sex marriage) asked the gentlemen to come forward for a blessing. Yes, standing up at the front with the choir, I was surreptitiously wiping my eyes. Ah, weddings.

Oh yes. . . Corwin and Clara had a fabulous time at their sleepover, but Corwin was so excited, he didn't fall asleep until about 10. And woke up at 5:30. Too excited to go back to sleep, he woke up Clara. They were well and truly grumpy by the time they came to pick me up from recorder ensemble (I include Hubby in the grumpiness - it's contagious). Real life. Every great weekend has its Monday - some just seem to arrive earlier than others!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home