Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Christmas Meme

Now that my fall photos are up, I can officially progress towards the Christmas season. And Clementine had the perfect meme to do just that. Without further ado . . .

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper. Gift bags for hostess gifts, but wrapping paper here. Oh, except Santa gifts - Santa doesn't wrap, he sets stuff up (fond memories of cursing in the wee hours while setting up the play kitchen. Or calling a toy company at 3 am and leaving a message a week before Christmas because there was a part missing from the Playmobil castle . . . )

2. Real tree or Artificial? Real in the living room, real on the porch (which will be on the deck and decorated for the birds with suet and seed ornaments this year), fake pre-lit in the basement for the Santa tree, fake in the family room (for ambience), and fake in our bedroom, which may move into the hall outside our door if I can fit it).

3. When do you put up the tree? They start around Nov 25th

4. When do you take the tree down? January 7 (after Epiphany)

5. Do you like eggnog? Yes. But I miss this eggnog I used to get in Miami.

6. Favorite gifts received as a child? Monopoly (I played so much by myself I even dreamed Monopoly!), The Narnia Chronicles set, which Corwin was enjoying but the pages started falling out so Santa brought him his own set. And this wacky game called G'Nip G'Nop, which I LOVED.

7. Hardest person to buy for? Hubby. And now my parents because they just downsized and they really do have everything!

8. Easiest person to buy for? Corwin and Clara.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? Kind of. I saw a beautiful one, but it was ridiculously expensive. So I have a snowman one. With a tiny snowman baby Jesus (heresy, I'm sure!)

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Until last year, made my own and mailed them (I even planned ahead when we were having a postal strike and took all my international cards to the US when I had conference!) . Last year was a serious blip on the Canada card factory, but this year I think I'm back on track.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? A canary yellow ski jacket from my mom. It's the first time I ever said that I didn't like something. I was in grade 7. And I hated yellow (still don't love yellow, and NEVER wear it!)

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Technically it's not Christmas, but Harry Potter is very Christmas-y (the music always puts me in the mood for Christmas). The Grinch (cartoon). Charlie Brown's Christmas. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. And even though the kids are past it, I will still be watching a Wiggly Wiggly Christmas (shhh, don't tell anyone!)

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? In the fall, after the kids' birthday (to avoid doubles)

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I don't think so, but I'm not sure . .

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? My mom's sausage stuffing. And her shortbread.

16. Lights on the tree? Of course. Santa tree is multi-coloured, outside tree is red and white, the rest are white.

17. Favorite Christmas song? The Huron Indian Carol. And I still have a hard time singing parts of it because I choke up. Sad, but true

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home!!

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Absolutely!!!!!

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Blown glass ornament on living room tree, stars on the rest (my parents have an angel on their tree. She actually flaps her wings. Creeeeepy!).

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Used to open one Christmas Eve, but that has stopped since we had the kids.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Christmas music starting the day after Hallowe'en!!!!

23. Favorite ornament theme or color? I have lots of reindeer, snowmen . . . and trees!!!

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Traditional (and not microwaved!!). Turkey, sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, homemade cranberries, Harvard beets, gravy, other veggies (I can change up the veggies). And carrot pudding, flamed, with custard for dessert.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? World Peace. Barring that . . . a white Christmas. (and PVR, if any of you know Hubby!!)

Oh yeah . . . tag, you're it!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home