Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Ultimate Omelette

I have been on a quest lately. It has taken dozens of eggs. And quite a bit of butter. But I have been determined to master the making of an omelette. Sounds easy, right? Not so much. It's frustrating to me, because I am a pretty good cook. My husband jokes that he married me for my cheesecake, and those can be tricky to make. The first thing I ever cooked completely by myself (at the age of 11) was chicken cordon bleu - my favourite thing to order at restaurants at that time. It turned out great. So this omelette business has been driving me crazy! Maybe it's because I'm not always the most patient person in the world, but my omelettes have always ended up as scrambled eggs. They taste just fine, but there is something seriously lacking in the presentation. So, a few weeks ago, I decided it was time.

I read the section in the cook's bible, The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer (not the revised one - it's on my "to buy" list). And for added research, I read the omelette directions in "The New Basics" by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins. I found the second set of directions a bit more straightforward, and not as academic (also, their sketches are very helpful). Then I tried to make an omelette with a little cheese. It was okay, but a bit too soft on the inside, and the flip and fold part didn't go so well. Thirty seconds in the microwave firmed up the runny factor, but made the outside a bit too tough. No matter, I ate it anyway.

The next day, I tried again, with a bit of diced onion and mushrooms sauteed in the butter before the eggs were slipped into the pan. (FYI , beat the eggs just before adding to the pan, with a little bit of milk. I find that half & half works better. And don't overbeat the eggs). This time, texture was good, but the flip and fold was a disaster!! The omelette looked like scrambled/chopped eggs by the time I scooped it off the counter and onto the plate. It tasted pretty good, so I figured I was on the right track. A few more days, and a few more eggs, and Voila! I have mastered the art of the omelette! I have made plain omelettes, cheese omelettes, and even a Western. I have added mushrooms, salsa, and even a few chunks of cream cheese to melt lusciously into the cheddar. Amazingly, I'm not sick of them, yet. I think that I'm just so fascinated but the way the whole thing comes together, and the endless assortment of fillings that makes each omelette completely unique. I just don't think that I should get my cholesterol checked anytime soon!

So, I have mastered the art of the omelette. A proud moment to be sure. There is one other recipe that has thwarted me. Ironically, it is also an egg dish. I can make meringue for the top of lemon meringue pie, but the crispy/crunchy meringue for Pavlova. . . aahhhh, now there is another quest.

3 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

O Canada, I wish I could cook as well as you!

Wed Mar 08, 12:36:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Hey, you can make Haystacks, Peaches. Remember, I'm expecting some in 22 days!! (maybe we can get some butterscotch schnapps and Baileys, and make ButterShots to go with them . . . mmmmmmm!)

Wed Mar 08, 01:09:00 p.m.  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

Don't beleive her, canada. AJWP can cook great.

Wed Mar 08, 03:12:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home