Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Guilty Pleasures Meme

A fabulous meme that I found at Dr Brazen Hussy's blog. Wanna play? Either post your answers in comments, or leave a link so we can visit!

Four Guilty Pleasures in Reading
1. Cosmo, Glamour, Allure, Wish, etc (but all such good bathtub reading material)
2. Decorating/Gardening books and Magazines (I subscribe to a couple, and joined a decorating book club. Hubby is appalled. I have a stack of kitchen/bath idea books. Should I ever win the lottery, I will be able to have my ideal kitchen. Until then, I can dream!!
3. Shopaholic and other girly books (not Harelequin!!)
4. kids' books. Like Arabel's Raven, the Narnia Chronicles (esp The Magician's Nephew, which is the FIRST book no matter what anyone else says), Harry Potter, Hotel For Dogs, Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the chocolate Factory, etc

Four Guilty Pleasures in Movies
1. 80s teen movies like Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller
2. British movies, or movies that have good-lookin' men with Brit/Irish/Scottish accents (Sliding Doors, Four Weddings, Love Actually, Bend It Like Beckham)
3. Fantasy/fairytale movies that aren't Oscar nominees (Willow, The Neverending Story, Ever After)
4. Big-budget action movies that are really only for the special effects (Armageddon, The Day After Tomorrow, War of the Worlds, etc)

Four Guilty Pleasures in Food
1. Cheez Whiz in celery (I feel kinda healthy if I use "Light")
2. movie theatre popcorn - yes, with butter or "topping"
3. Dill pickle chips (although I indulged last weekend after a very long time, and felt hungover the next day. Salt + MSG = bad, very bad. I'm too old for this. And if I feel hungover, there should at least be alcohol involved!!!)
4. poutine (for those unfamiliar with the Quebec delicacy - french fries with white cheese curds, smothered in gravy. A veritable heart attack on a plate!)

Four Guilty Pleasures in Music
1. Duran Duran (old and new. Ah, Simon)
2. Ice, Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice. (What?!)
3. 80s dance/pop music. I just found Kiss Me by TinTin - the extended remix!!
4. new country (Shania, Faith Hill, Keith Urban, Lonestar, Toby Keith). Have had to listen with clients, and now I'm a convert.

Four Guilty Pleasures in TV
1. HGTV & TLC decorating shows
2. Grey's Anatomy
3. Desperate Housewives
4. What Not To Wear

Four Guilty Pleasures in Booze
1. Blender drinks. (strawberry daiquiris, pina coladas, margaritas, etc)
2. Sangria in a bottle
3. Mixing - as in, trying many different cocktails when out at a bar (not that I get out to bars often)
4. coolers. ( I miss Canada Cooler in the 2 litre coke-style bottle,the lemon-lime wine based drink of the summer before university).

6 Comments:

Blogger nancycle said...

Guilt! Guilt? Why so much guilt! ;-)

Thu May 25, 10:37:00 a.m.  
Blogger Krupskaya said...

C.S. Lewis himself said The Magician's Nephew is the first -- it just was published later. Myself, I like it sixth. And Dawn Treader is my favorite.

Thu May 25, 02:15:00 p.m.  
Blogger Jess said...

Ah, Simon.

You had me there - I like your tv shows too! But no mention of the Wrinkle In Time books?

Thu May 25, 02:44:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Oh, Madelaine L'Engle!!! All of the Wrinkle in Time series, even when Meg and Clavin's children are featured. And the Austin series. And when they overlap!!!

Also, absolutely anything by Gordon Korman. He rocks - he wrote his first book when he was in high school just outside Toronto. His sense of humour is amazing.

Books - as Urban Muse said: "they're like crack" for her. Me, too!

Thu May 25, 02:56:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Krup - I spent the better part of a rainy July when I was about 8 or 9 pretending that my bed was the Dawn Treader, and all of my stuffed animals were various characters (like Reepicheep). Good book.

Thu May 25, 10:43:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gerhard says he's truly surprised you limited your booze pleasures to such a short list!!!

Fri Jun 09, 04:29:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home