Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Missin' Miami

It's been almost 11 years since I've been to Miami. I lived there for two and a half years, while I did my Master's at University of Miami, and my internship at Miami Children's Hospital. It was a wonderful experience (well, I could have done without the Hurricane Andrew portion of it), but I knew that I would never want to live there full time. The bugs - eeew! "Palmetto bug" is just a fancy way to say cockroach, and they are HUGE!!! I missed having seasons - I mean REAL seasons, not just warm and dry vs hot and humid. The hardest thing was not having fall. And the constant, eternal sunshine. Being from Canada, where there is a good mix of rain and snow and cold, I never thought I'd say this, but - my God, it's too damn sunny! I remember a week of unusual weather for Miami. It was cool(ish)and drizzly, just a fine misty rain. I was so happy - I had my windows open and just reveled in the overall greyness of the sky. I'm not sure what this says about me, but I guess I enjoy being melancholy occasionally.

One place that I love in Miami (well, technically Coral Gables) is the Venetian Pool. It was just around the corner from my apartment on Catalonia Ave, and I could walk there in 5 minutes. There hours during the "winter" months were a bit out of sync with mine (pesky classes), but I would get there every week or so. I loved swimming in the cool, clear water. It was just amazing, and there were several times when it was just me swimming. There is nothing like this here, nor anywhere else that I have been.

I think what has made me think about it lately is that the kids have been to swimming lessons, as well as swimming in other friends' pools, and I can't imagine having a kidney-shaped, plastic-lined, chlorinated body of water as part of my landscape. That's not to say that I don't enjoy swimming, or that I'm not appreciative of our neighbours' generosity in inviting us for a dip. It's just that I like the look of something more natural, and integrated with the landscaping. I have seen many pictures in design books of stunning, natural-looking pools, but this is the only one I've seen up close and personal. Granted, it's a little large scale for the average homeowner (820,000 gallons!!!), but they did an amazing job of turning a gravel pit into something beautiful, for everyone to enjoy.

So when I say that I miss swimming in Miami, sometimes I mean in the ocean. But more often than not, I'm talking about the Venetian Pool.

And I still crave the hot and sour soup at Lotus Garden on Ponce de Leon, in the little strip mall in front of the Publix. It is still there. I'm sure their soup still kicks ass in a big way. *sigh*

2 Comments:

Blogger Krupskaya said...

I get intensely crabby after several days of sunshine in a row. I need my clouds. Must be a northern thing. Er, north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Wed Jun 21, 11:32:00 p.m.  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I'm one of those people who likes perpetually sunny weather. I'll take a bit of cold and revel in a dash of snow around Christmastime, but that's it.
I'm not into gray days at all.
We have plenty of overcast, gray, humid days here in Arkansas. We moved here about a year ago from California where I was born and grew up.
My hubby and I lived in SD for a year and in CO for a year, ealy in our marriage. I had more than enough snow and wintery weather to last a lifetime. It's not my cup of tea.

My high speed internet is repaired - a day early - and I am rejoicing!!!!

Your Miami memories sound lovely. I wouldn't mind taking a dip in that pool and having some of that hot and sour soup.

Thu Jun 22, 12:59:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home