Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Friday, July 07, 2006

Hot and Sweaty

Just a little update. PoD has safely made it to his destination, and survived the two week training stuff. Since last Sunday, he's been out in his "area" near the swamp the size of Belgium. I've had two e-mails, but now it will be more sporadic - who knows if they have internet in the swamp, right?

Here's an excerpt from last week's e-mail:

I am, thank goodness, Intestinally sound...we are all quite paranoid about what we eat but it hasn't stopped a couple of the guys from having varied and malodorous episodes. I was a bit wonky last week from (I suspect) a dodgy-kebab, but I was good within 24 hours. Nor has the mefloquine (anti-malarial) resulted in any negative effects - my dreams are less vivid if anything - but I do feel off for about 2-3 days every week. I suppose it beats having malaria, especially once I deploy to my sector and team site.

The dust and heat are still oppressive, but my capability to handle it improves daily...I have a small thermometer from MEC and one day this week it was 47 degrees (celcius) in the shade. You just get accustomed to being hot and sweaty all the time. Which is one reason why - yes it's true - I shaved my noggin. No Maintenance hair, and you feel every breeze! Of course, I've been wearing a hat because I do not want to get sunburned there - I can imagine that it would be quite painful. so I time my exposure quite carefully.


And more exciting things, but they are kind of specific about where he is. Not that I think he'd mind, I'm just not sure. And hey, it could be kind of fun to try and guess, right? If anyone gets it right, I'll probably let the cat out of the bag. Until then, be safe, PoD.

2 Comments:

Blogger crse said...

what about guam? guam is kind of like that isnt it? i love guessing games

Sat Jul 08, 01:18:00 a.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Not Guam! Good try, crse :)

Sat Jul 08, 11:00:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home