Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Little Shaky

Hmm, is that vibrato? No, it's just because I've started to shake a little. Quaking in my boots, you might say. I got the music for Elijah on Thursday, and have been practising ever since. As I sat down to work on it some more today, in relative peace and quiet - Corwin is at a birthday party, and Hubby took Clara skating to get her out of my hair - I was hit with the enormity of this position. Oh my God, what if I screw up? What if I completely disappoint Gordon and everyone else? Gulp! Well, I am able to play the music just fine, and I have been messing around with tempos - I'm not sure exactly how allegro it might go, nor how slow andante might be in certain sections. I'm working on my dynamics, my tonguing, and my tone. What more can I do?

Well, I can fervently wish and hope that the first flute will be at the rehearsal on Monday. When I picked up the music, she said she wasn't positive she could make that rehearsal. Oh. My. God!!!! That will mean that I am it, the only flute. Holy crap, every wrong entry and missed accidental will be SO noticeable. Breathe, breathe.

This is my first time playing with a professional orchestra. Actually, the strings are not, they are a group of dedicated amateurs, but when the orchestra is augmented, there are professional players. And on Monday, if the first flute isn't there, I will be right next to Angela Casagrande, who is an amazing oboe player. Wish me luck. I'd say I'd have a stiff drink before the rehearsal, but I don't think that will help with the precision I'm going to need.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're all cheering for you. all the best.

Sun Jan 21, 12:39:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait!!!!

Sun Jan 21, 01:05:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help! is it too late to take up the violin...?
I think i am in love!
Lola

Mon Jan 22, 07:28:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home