Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Friday, March 10, 2006

Misheard Songs

While I was making lunch for the munchkins, an ABBA song came on the radio. Of course, I cranked up the volume and started singing along. Both kids burst into the family room and joined in, singing "Guinea, Guinea, Guineeeea Pi-i-i-i-g" at the top of their lungs. LOL!! I'll never be able to listen to "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme (a man after midnight)" the same way again.

I started thinking about other looney lyrics as we waited for the school bus. Like my husband's four year old niece (who is now 22) singing "every time you go away, you take a piece of meat with you." I'm sure that Paul Young might see the practicality of that lyric, though it's not nearly as romantic as his version. Or the appalled look on my Aunt's face in the early 80s when she listened to the soundtrack to "Flashdance" that I wanted so desperately. Somehow, instead of "take your passion", she was hearing "take your pants down and make it happen." I couldn't figure out why she kept saying that it was disgusting. Once she discovered what the lyrics really were (I had to show her the sheet music!), she bought me the album.

Another favourite from my children is their request that I sing them the "Blueberry" song. The first few times, I had no idea what they were talking about. This was when they were about 2 or so. I mentally went through the repertoire that I sing with or to them. Maybe this was a new song from nursery school? Something from the Wiggles? Then my daughter started humming the first line from "Today", the song that I first sang them when they came home from the hospital, and had sung almost every night since. Here are the lyrics:

Chorus:
Today, while the blossoms still cling to the vine
I'll taste your strawberries; I'll drink your sweet wine
A million tomorrows shall all pass away
'Ere I forget all the joys that are mine today

Verse 1:
Oh, I'll be a dandy and I'll be a rover
You'll know who I am by the songs that I sing
I'll feast at your table; I'll sleep in your clover
I'll laugh, and I'll cry, and I'll sing

Chorus

Verse 2:
I can't be contented with yesterday's glories
I can't live on promises winter through spring
Today is my moment and now is my story
Who cares what tomorrow may bring

Chorus

Notice that there are absolutely no blueberries mentioned in this song? There are strawberries, which I tried to point out, but no, they still asked for the Blueberry song. And now that they are old enough to realize that there aren't any blueberries, it has forever become known as "The Blueberry Song".

As my children grow and get more into listening to the radio, I'm sure I'll have many more amusing lyrics to add to my collection. But I have the urge to dig out some ABBA to relive the "Guinea Pig" song when they get home from school.

3 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

I am now SO VINDICATED!!!!! When I was a kid, I made 2 of the mistakes you mentioned (piece of meat and take your pants down) and Petunia always teases me about the Flashdance one. But now I know it's a common error! Thanks, Canada.

Fri Mar 10, 06:32:00 p.m.  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

That cracks me up that your aunt and AJWP heard the same thing. I used to think the song "get down tonight" was "get calgonite" (a dishwasher soap in the 70's). I always thought it odd to sing about dishwasher soap.

Sat Mar 11, 08:00:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I regret that my "Best of Abba" does not include the Guinea Pig song (heh heh heh). Naturally my thoughts lead to WHAT RADIO STATION IS SHE LISTENING TOO ANYWAY??!! Then I recall babysitting those darlings and all the gems that would come out of their mouths begging you to record them. Glad you do. Life can be like standing in one of those plexiglass booths sometimes while we grasp at memories like they were floating cash.

Congratulations on the million dollar family!! :-D

Grooving to Dancing Queen...

Sat Mar 11, 09:19:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home