Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Monday, August 13, 2007

Don't Hate Me . . .

But today was the first day I noticed the change in the afternoon sunlight. And how dark it gets by 9. It's that time in August, the time that I suddenly think "summer's over, bring on September!". Tonight, there's even a beautiful, cool breeze that is very reminiscent of autumn.

I think this stems from the years that I went to summer camp. July was always the best time to go - hot days, warm evenings, lots of sunshine . . . perfect halcyon days. August was chillier in the evenings, dewier in the mornings, and the fields always looked less lush. I think a lot of it has to do with the light, when the sun starts slanting a bit differently. It used to give me a homesick feeling deep in my belly, which was heightened by the hum of cicadas in the dry and dusty heat. More accurately, it was a sense of foreboding, of how much I was going to miss camp and my friends and especially the horses.

While I will certainly enjoy the last few weeks of the summer, and our family holiday next week, I look forward with eagerness to the warm afternoons of September, to Indian summer, to the sudden crimson splash of the sedum in my garden. I will revel in the small town fairs, the apple picking and the pumpkin carving, the glory of the fall foliage, and the smell of frost and bonfire smoke in the air.

Yep, it's that time again. Summer's almost over. Bring on September!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that too yesterday!!!! I emailed Tom Paine saying the hay had been collected in, and there was dew everywhere. The sun light is different too, especially when it begins to set. How funny we both thought that yesterday!!

Tue Aug 14, 06:30:00 a.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Especially as we aren't even on the same continent!! Really, there's always a day that you notice the difference in the light and . . . that's it.

Tue Aug 14, 09:49:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonfires in the air? You can add drunk mad man pouring diesel and rose scented lamp oil to start the fire as part of your romantic description.

Tue Aug 14, 11:53:00 a.m.  
Blogger Clementine said...

I've been thinking the same thing. Feels like fall here, too. I love it!

Tue Aug 14, 12:59:00 p.m.  
Blogger crse said...

Boo hiss. Its still dog days in my world baby. And Im holding on to them tight too!

Tue Aug 14, 09:33:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I *so* hear you on this...I love Fall! :)

Wed Aug 15, 01:13:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home