Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Utterly Amazing

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, today I did something that was a little out of my comfort zone. I took a few steps past and surprised myself. Today, I picked up the CD of my recital performance from AVT. And I actually listened to it!!

Okay, there are two pieces. I listened to the first, the Pie Jesu. And though I knew where I made my little glitch, and realized that I was a tiny bit flat on one note (but corrected it, so I guess I knew at the time, huh?), I think I sounded okay. No, I sounded good. Wow. I know you're all shocked that the ultra-self-critical, performance-anxiety-ridden "I don't sing in front of people" singer really said that. But it's true. I sounded good.

Then there was the Italian piece. I started listening to Il Mio Bel Foco. And then I popped out the disc. Ugh.

But later . . . now here's the utterly amazing part. I was driving Beck home this afternoon, and I played the Pie Jesu for her. She said I sounded good, but the unprecedented thing is that I sat there listening to myself and let someone else listen, too. After I dropped her off, I listened to the other piece. Yeah, there was a lot of stuff I didn't like. But my high notes were completely on pitch, good tone, nice vibrato, and a few other redeeming features.

I may be a little carried away by this. I went and bought the Puccini aria (a whole book of them, actually!) that I want to sing. From Madama Butterfly. I'll let you know how it goes.

3 Comments:

Blogger crse said...

wow! I had to giggle because norm and i just had a discussion that his voice is very cute and he shouldnt wince and plug his ears when he hears the recording! You go girl.

Wed Aug 08, 07:24:00 p.m.  
Blogger Lola said...

hey you go girl!
we HAVE to get together!
off to vegas very early in the am.
let's connect upon my return..you can serenade me...
lola

Wed Aug 08, 08:15:00 p.m.  
Blogger Margaret said...

Good for you! I would love to hear you sing!

Wed Aug 08, 10:34:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home