Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Friday, September 21, 2007

The Book Meme

As seen at Days Go By.

Total number of books owned: At least 300. Probably more. I can't get rid of any that I like. I am a shameless re-reader!

Last book bought: Eldest by Christopher Paolini. It's the sequel to Eragon, which was awesome. Yes, the movie was horrific (let's not go there), but the book was fabulous.

Last book read: In the middle of Eldest. Recently read Echo Park by Michael Connelly (which was loaned to me by Senate Woman - we share a thing for Harry Bosch. And a few others)

Five Books that Mean a Lot to You (with a bonus sixth): Hmmmm. Hard to choose, there are so many good books...

1. Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte. I love this book. Even before my Victorian novel class, this book was one of my favourites. Especially the scene when Cathy comes to the window, searching for Heathcliff.

2. Tam Lin, Pamela Dean. A modern take on the ancient Scottish folk song Tam Lin, set on a university campus in the midwest. Wonderful book, especially the faerie elements.

3. The Magician's Nephew, C.S. Lewis. I read this once a year. It is still my favourite of the Narnia Chronicles, though I love The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, too. I love the different worlds that Polly and Diggory go to, the description of the smells and the feel of the air. And the phenomenal description of Aslan singing Narnia into life.

4.Arabel's Raven, Joan Aiken. Joan Aiken has written several books that I adored as a child, but Arabel's Raven is my favourite. Mortimer the raven saying "Nevermore" all the time - it wasn't until I was much older that I understood her homage to Edgar Allen Poe.

5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, J.K. Rowling. Because all of the books are wonderful, because this was the one that started it all. And because it made me wish magic was real again, something I haven't really wished for since I tried the back of every closet in every house we lived in to see if I could get to Narnia.

6. A Separate Peace, John Knowles. It's such a beautiful, yet heart-wrenching, story about friendship and jealousy. All set in New England. Stunning visual descriptions.

Five Books That You Just Don't Get (with a bonus sixth):

1. Alice In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll. Because, frankly, Lewis Carroll creeps me out. Especially his whole relationship with Alice Liddell.

2. Gulliver's Travels, Jonathan Swift. Yes, I know it is satirical, but I really couldn't get into it. At all. Ugh.

3. Lord of the Flies, William Golding. It's a guy thing. I'm a girl. I remember that I called my essay "Lord of the Fleas".

4. Beowulf. Not technically a book. I just couldn't get into it. I'm hoping that the movie is somewhat more exciting (and you know I usually like the book better!)

5. Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, Roald Dahl. I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it's one of my favourite books. But I absolutely could not get into this one. I have tried several times, and never finished it.

6. The Tin Flute, Gabrielle Roy. Depressing!!!!! And it wasn't just the translation from French to English - I know several people with the same opinion who read it in French.


Tag: You're "it"!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Ooh, Lord of The Flies....good one! I HATED that.

I may have to read this Eragon....

Fri Sep 21, 06:14:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

It's very, very good. But do NOT, under any circumstances, watch the movie. It's HORRIBLE!!!

There was another book I hated, but everytime I came back to write it down, I couldn't remember it!

Sat Sep 22, 12:01:00 a.m.  
Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

Are there any French books that AREN'T depressing?

We call it "The Clown of Despair"--somewhere, even in the most "comedic" of french comedies, something absolutely horrible will happen. But the french people, oh they will laugh...laugh in the face of the Clown of Despair.

Maybe you have to be there. :)

Fri Sep 28, 04:11:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home