Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Monday, July 28, 2008

More ABBA For Everyone!!!!

Well, maybe not Pierce Brosnan. He looks good and has a lovely speaking voice, but he should leave the singing to others.

Saw Mamma Mia this evening, and I loved it. Amazon and I had made plans to go see it, and plans evolved into dinner before the movie. With her husband, Mr Slamuri, joining us. Poor Mr Slamuri. He had to listen to Amazon and I giggle and laugh (apparently loudly) throughout the movie, and not only did he have to endure Pierce's strangulated vocalizations, he was treated to Amazon and I (and several other women in the theater) singing along with Donna and Sophie!!!

May I just say that I love ABBA, and have ever since I heard Chiquitita at my aunt and uncle's in the late 70s. That song reminds me of Vancouver Island and those two weeks I spent there every time I hear it. My friend Sarah and I would roller skate in her basement to ABBA, and bounce on her trampoline, singing along to Angel Eyes, Take a Chance On Me, and SOS. Our grade 8 play even used ABBA songs as a soundtrack, including Does Your Mother Know and Money, Money, Money. I have many favourite songs, one of which is The Winner Takes It All. I would listen to it (and a few other moody selections, like The Name of the Game and Knowing Me, Knowing You) in my grade 7/8 angst (crushes, "broken hearts", fights with friends), and wallow in the melancholy (yes, I still enjoy the melancholy). But never before have I wept like I did watching Meryl Streep perform that song. My God, that woman is amazing. She looks phenomenal and we all know she can act any part, be anyone. I don't know why I was so surprised by her singing. Wow. And she has that whole acting ability behind her to totally sell the song. She emoted! I wish I could emote a fraction as much as she can. Even if I had hated the rest of the movie, it would have been worth watching just for that 3 minutes. Obviously, that isn't the case - so go see it (but don't say I didn't warn you about 007, Emeritus).

*Also, Christine Baranski - she can really sing, too!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

I looooove ABBA. And I love Meryl Streep. But at the moment I don't have anyone to see the movie with. :(

Tue Jul 29, 06:39:00 a.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

I'll go!!!! Oh yeah, kind of far to travel for a movie :(

Tell Arbistrista it's his spousal duty - I'm sure you've gone to a few action films in your day (and it's not like you're asking him to go to Sex & the City!)

Tue Jul 29, 07:50:00 a.m.  
Blogger Lucy said...

I'm going to see this tonight, so I'll have more to say later. My position at this point is with ABBA and hot British guys, how can it go wrong.

BTW: the HP trailer link is in the comments on my blog...just for you. Check it out!

Thu Jul 31, 11:34:00 a.m.  
Blogger Firefly1234 said...

I adore Pierce Brosnan and have since his Remington Steele days. It always frustrated me that the writers never consummated his and his counterpart's attraction! My Mum went to see Mamma Mia the other day and loved it - but she had essentially the same comments as you about Pierce Brosnan's singing abilities - his dancing as well! We went to see the play in Toronto several years ago and LOVED it - there is an other story behind seeing the play - remind me and I'll tell you all about it sometime!!!

Tue Aug 05, 10:35:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home