Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Weather Forecast

Here's an update. Sunday's weather forecast is calling for 11 degrees and sunny periods. That's an improvement from yesterday, when they said it would be 11 and rainy. But we're still 4 degrees shy of my sister-in-law's "required temperature".

Well, we got a call last night. Guess she's been looking at the long range forecast, too. Her oldest son will be working (they assumed that the recreation complex where he works would be closed, but apparently it isn't), so he will not be at dinner. And as for her, "we always knew that my attendance was questionable, and I don't think it's going to be warm enough for us to sit in the backyard, so I won't be coming either. Thank you for the invitation, but our family won't be attending". First of all "our family"? I thought that we were part of that, and her parents and sisters, etc. I guess not - it's like she's been invited to dinner by friends, or strangers, even. I think "we" won't be coming would have sufficed, but. . . whatever! (this knee-jerk reaction to her terminology can also be attributed to something she said a few years ago, when she was being her selfish self, that "my family is dead." Meaning her husband. Yes, a big part of her nuclear family died, but aren't the rest of us good enough? We've tried to support her and her children, to be there for them, to help her through the tough times of being a widow with young children, but she insists upon clinging to the past, and not in a healthy way.)

The second reaction I had was "is she nuts?" Even if it was warm and sunny, does she think I'm going to serve Easter dinner out on the deck? I understand about sitting outside prior to dinner, I do realize she has allergies. But however warm it is, dinner will be in the dining room. So we have also told her that she is welcome to come just for dinner. I don't mind if she eats and runs, but it would be nice for the whole family to be together. No, no, can't do it, blah blah blah. I really think she expected dinner in the backyard, maybe on paper plates. Or how 'bout a tailgate party on the driveway? We can put the patio furniture in the garage in case it starts to rain! Now there's a classy picture for Easter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home