Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Blu-u-u-u-u-esfest!

What a perfect evening for an outdoor concert!!! La Patisserie and I drove downtown and met Weasley at the bar, where we indulged in a pitcher of sangria (just the ladies - Weasley had a beer), and a smorgasbord of shared Happy Hour snacks. Then we made our way to the Bluesfest main stage area. There were ongoing performances from about 6, but Blue Rodeo was scheduled to start at 9. We got there shortly after 7, with our camp chairs slung over our shoulders, looking for a spot to set up. La Patisserie and I figured we'd sit further back but Weasley would have none of it.

It's early, people are too generous with the spacing in the rows early in the evening. Look - we can fit three right here

Hmmm. . . La Patisserie and I thought that the people sitting behind were looking somewhat displeased. Maybe we should look elsewhere? But Weasley was setting up his chair in the row. Giving the people behind some decent legroom, and squeezing us up close to the chairs in front. Ummmmm. . . I don't know about this. . .

No, no, look, it's perfect for three. No, really, come here. See?

As I walk down the row, I try to smile and gesture "but the people. . . ". All right, fine, there's room. We smile and joke with the people behind us and set up our chairs. It's all good. Nicely done, Weasley - we can see the stage (kind of), and there is a huge screen directly to the left. La Patisserie and I would have been somewhere at the back, both too worried about imposing on anyone. And of course Weasley was right - there were loads of people eking out space within the rows.

So, once we were established, it was time for a beer (of course). We nominated Weasley for the beer run, although I offered to go with him. I guess I should have, because he had to make more than one trip - they would only let people order 2 beers at a time. Oh well. We sipped and people watched. My God, there are an awful lot of tube tops this season!! Not the most attractive (or practical) fashion trend. Ladies, if you need to keep hiking it up, it may not be for you! Although, make sure it IS up as far as it should be, okay?

The opening act wasn't bad, but they weren't overly memorable. The wafts of marijuana smoke, however, lingered. My bra smelled of it when I did laundry today! Interestingly, my shirt didn't smell like pot - I have no idea how that happened (no, I did not take my shirt off or flash anyone!). We spent a lot of time looking for hot guys for Weasley. He and I have similar taste (although I don't find uber-preppy frat boys with baseball caps nearly as exciting as he does). Once the sun went down, a bit of a breeze picked up and it was just right for an evening outdoors. Blue Rodeo took the stage promptly at 9, and they were just as amazing as ever. The audience was singing along, dancing and swaying to the music. At one point, Greg Keelor conducted the crowd in the entire first verse and chorus of "Hasn't Hit Me Yet" - I think even he was surprised how well everyone sang in unison and (overall) in tune. The only disappointment for me was that they didn't play my favourite song. I mean, they never play my second fave in concert - the album it's from never got much airplay - but they didn't play "Bad Timing". I think I'm still in shock. Although hearing Jim Cuddy sing "Try" is always a treat. Of the duo (and they are both fabulously talented musicians and songwriters), he is the one whose music and lyrics I am more drawn to, especially in their solo careers. Oh well, maybe next year. And I'm bringing Weasley as my "date" - who else can secure great seats with no worries AND make the beer run? Love ya, Weasley!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home