Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What Was I Thinking?

Lately, Corwin has started enjoying it when I read chapter books to him. You know, more like novels, with very few pictures. Clara would rather read picture books by herself, and often does crafts while Corwin and I read. We read Lois Duncan's Hotel For Dogs, which was one of my favourite books when I was little. In fact, I took it out of the library so often in grade three that both sides of the card had my name on it. Then we read The Littles Have A Wedding, which I read in grade one. That was a very quick read, and Corwin was pretty fascinated by the idea of tiny people with tails. Now we're reading a classic - E.B. White's Charlotte's Web. He's really enjoying it, and Wilbur has just met Charlotte. After our chapter last night, I remembered that I always cried at the end of the book, so I decided to read ahead to see if that was still the case. Uhhh . . yeah!!! Crap, how am I supposed to get through the last pages of this book with a lump in my throat? Hubby used to laugh at me because I couldn't read the last page of Sam McBratney's Guess How Much I Love You above a whisper because I was always choked up. Damn, this could be problematic. Any suggestions?

9 Comments:

Blogger crse said...

I HATE CHARLOTTES WEB!!! Ok hate is a strong word. But am extremely emotionally scarred by the death of the only spider who could teach me to love. Ill say more when im better but i feel your pain sister....

Tue Sep 12, 07:37:00 p.m.  
Blogger Shelli said...

The movie is cute too....I think all children should learn LITTLE bits about death. The book was great so-so, of course that was when I was a kid...so...who knows, really.

At least yours likes to read, mine hates it and she's 9

Tue Sep 12, 08:23:00 p.m.  
Blogger Jesse said...

My only suggestion is sty away from the book about the tree... curses, I can't remember what its called. But its a tear jerker for sure.

Wait, I remember now, it is:

The Chestry Oak

Charolettes web never made me cry. It creeped me out and made me afraid of spider eggs.

I'm really no help. Sorry.

Tue Sep 12, 10:53:00 p.m.  
Blogger Gill Smoke said...

Gasp, "the Little Prince" always, always, always gets me. Sobbing just thinking about it. Try a glass of water, practice it a couple of times before you get there or CHANGE THE STORY ala Berkely Breathed did in Goodnight Opus for Goodnight Moon.

Wed Sep 13, 02:45:00 a.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Gill Smoke - I CAN"T change Charlotte's Web - the new movie is coming out soon! But I will keep re-reading until I desensitize myself. Ah, hell, you all know I'll be weepy, and so will Corwin - he's like that, my son! The movie Spirit (about the horse) always gets him, too.

Wed Sep 13, 12:36:00 p.m.  
Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

I don't think it's a bad thing to get weepy when you're reading that to them. I mean, you don't want to have a complete breakdown and scare them, but it's SAD. It just is, with the sun coming up and everything all beautiful and then Charlotte dying all alone...damn that EB White.

Wed Sep 13, 01:24:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could use a good cry...can I borrow that book when you're done?
I loved Charlotte's Web...haven't read it since I was a wee lad!

Weasley

Wed Sep 13, 04:05:00 p.m.  
Blogger crse said...

Strangely, i was never sheltered from death as a child. Charlotte's? I never came back from. Gill may have come back from le petit prince but i have not. Damn that e.b. webb indeed.

Wed Sep 13, 05:21:00 p.m.  
Blogger Jess said...

I think it's a good thing for him to see you affected by something that will be so real to him.

You might want to have a little talk beforehand about how not all books are happy - so much kids lit is all upbeat and you don't want him to get broadsided!

Thu Sep 14, 07:28:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home