Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Friday, August 18, 2006

Can You Say "Mojito"?

Last night there was some deperation to get OUT.OF.THE.HOUSE., since V. couldn't make our weekly movie (selfishly, she had to pack. I mean, what could be so difficult in getting ready for the ten hour drive she will be doing alone today with her two kids, aged 7 and 2? LOL!). Obviously, I understood, although it left me in a panic, feeling claustauphobic. I NEED to get A-Waaaaaaay! This week, Corwin and Clara have been AWFUL. First, Clara's big disappointment and general bitchiness that Corwin lost a tooth first that continued the next day once the Tooth Fairy had made her visit. On Tuesday, the two of them were constantly at each other's throats, and were constantly in trouble for fighting and for arguing with me. Oh, and this was AFTER I took them to the Valleyview Little Animal Farm so they could play, go on the tractor/train ride, pet the animals, and have a blast on the climbers. Did I mention that they have been begging to go ("when are we going? Please! It's been a very long time! Mummy, please can we go?") every time we've driven by all summer. And then they had the gall to tell Hubby that I MADE them go, that they really didn't want to go. So he got all annoyed with me ("Why did you bother? They didn't want to go. It was a waste of money Blah, blah, blah") Uuuuh . . . fuck off? I mean, really!

Wednesday, I kept it low key. They have had swimming from 4:30-5:00 every afternoon this week, and it's pretty intense. There is a lot of front crawl, back crawl, and treading water. And they are learning whip kick. Plus all the running around, playing at the park, etc. I think that a big part of the behaviour is that they are TIRED! Wednesday was pretty good until just before we left for swimming, but they both got into a spot of trouble right before we left (a little disagreement about picking up their toys. I don't mean all, but the basement looked like a tornado had gone through). I had Boot Camp from 5:45-6:45, and when I came home, everyone was screaming. Clara was crying, Corwin was yelling at Hubby, and he was yelling back. Turns out that they had gone for a big bike ride after dinner (did I mention that they had a full half hour of swimming right before dinner?), and then stopped for ice cream. Great, all good. Then Clara wanted to run through the sprinkler when they got home, even though it was really too late, and it was bath time. Hubby said yes, for five minutes. Of course that never happens, and it ended up being 15. Then it was time to come in. Which neither kid wanted to do. So there was an argument, which culminated in Corwin THROWING the sprinkler into the street. In case you wondered - no, this did not go over very well. So, bath time was a scream fest because everyone was in trouble and in bad moods. This is what I came home to. Now, I ask, WHY would Hubby ruin all my hard work of "low key because they're tired" day? I know I'm not alone in this - I have many friends whose husbands are very good at playing wildly with the kids - right before bed. And the same husbands get annoyed that their kids won't go to sleep. Duh, do the math!

Yesterday was much improved. We played and did crafts/colouring in the morning, then went to the park in the afternoon, then went to swimming. We even went out to dinner - Boston Pizza. The kids had baths and a quiet evening, and we read another chapter of Hotel for Dogs by Lois Duncan (I LOVE that book! I'm SO happy Corwin is really into it, too). And then they went to bed, falling asleep almost immediately. Thank God for La Pattisseria, who asked if I wanted to hang out and have a drink while she figured out how she was designing a pirate cake. Mojito, baby, Mojito. And now it's Friday - the light at the end of the tunnel! Because next week, my kids are in camp!!! Mornings will be crazy (we have to leave the house at 8. We'll be testing out their alarm clocks, for sure), but then I'm FREE until 4:30!!! Woo hoo!!!!!

Hmmmm . . . Mojito Mondays. I think I should start that tradition next week.

13 Comments:

Blogger crse said...

Oh. My. God. I NEED Mojito M-F. It must be in the air this week. The Turnip has abandoned his naps and thus has been completely cranky earning the nickname "our baby of perpetual dissatisfaction" and yes My fantastic husband was of course picking fights with Norm every five seconds. Im going to a slumber party tonight that will involve drinking and hubby bitching. I NEED THIS. I will drink a toast to you buddy. Esp if there are mojitos.

Fri Aug 18, 12:24:00 p.m.  
Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Why wait until Monday?

This reminds me of one of the only 2 funny parts in that terrible movie Failure to Launch. The roommate (Zooey Deschanel, and the ONLY reason to watch the movie) has a tradition of "Champagne Thursdays." SJP comes home one day and Zooey says "Look! It's champagne thursday!" SJP says "Huh, yesterday was champagne thursday." Zooey shrugs and says "Guess Thursday came twice this week."

Fri Aug 18, 12:55:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

I *LOVE* Kit (Zoey D.) in that movie. Believe me, my shopping list for this afternoon: birthday present for Sun party, shampoo, Beadryl for itchy dalmatian, white rum, mint.

I'm thinking I should have a theme drink for each night of the week. Like:
Mojito (margarita?) Mondays
Corona Tuesdays
Bellini Wednesdays
Champagne Thursdays
Free(whatever I want!)Fridays
Sangria Saturdays
Shiraz Sundays

Fri Aug 18, 01:36:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

And crse - can I come, too?

Fri Aug 18, 01:38:00 p.m.  
Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Awesome! Except for Corona. Are substitutions allowed?

Fri Aug 18, 02:38:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Dr Hussy - Corona just 'cause La Patisseria loves 'em. Any beer that is imported or microbrewed is okay (no Molson, Labbatt, or Bud allowed, though!)

Notice there is no Tequila Tuesday. Tequila is only mixed around here now. Shots are banned!

Fri Aug 18, 04:00:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Canada, sounds like a challenging week!!

And I want a life partner because??
Wedded bliss and children sound like so much fun!!

Weasley

p.s. it's official ..you're invited to Costas's party on the 25th :)

Fri Aug 18, 04:49:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Woo hoo, Weasley!! I (they?) made a good impression, apparently!

Fri Aug 18, 08:16:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO!
Yes, THEY did! (_)(_)

What are you going to put them in for the party?

Weasley

Sat Aug 19, 12:29:00 a.m.  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

I always forget about mojitos. They are such a lovely blend of goodness. Maybe I will have one today!

Sat Aug 19, 06:55:00 a.m.  
Blogger Jesse said...

Moe-Jaiiiii-toe

Sat Aug 19, 11:47:00 a.m.  
Blogger nancycle said...

Note to self, invite Canada over SOON for glass of wine and star gazing!

;-)

WHERE'S THE F*^&IN' EASY BUTTON????

Sat Aug 19, 07:39:00 p.m.  
Blogger luckybuzz said...

Oh, I am ALL about the Mojito Mondays. And champagne Thursdays. But I might go for Tequila Fridays, though I'll mix it for you. :)

Sun Aug 20, 11:23:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home