Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Future Diva?

Well, I did it!!! Thanks for the encouragement, my bloggy friends. I made it through, and I am tired, yet completely unable to sleep. Also, hungry, but I have no idea what I want to eat.

So, as we've established, I was a tad nervous about this whole endeavour. I got there early, warmed up with AVT, and folded programs. Around 7:15, we all ran through the Hallejah chorus together, and then headed up shortly after to get seats. There was not (thank God!!) a very big turnout. The performances were varied. I was not the only nervous singer there, and several others had never sung in public at all before (I had my little psalm experience in the summer, so I'm practically a seasoned pro - haha!). The tenor who sang first was great, and then there was a baritone who was also wonderful. A couple of women had some difficulty starting (many of us have colds and phlegmy issues), so restarted after the first note or two didn't start clear. I had heard all these people sing on Saturday. I hadn't heard AVT's husband play his organ solos (he's great), and another soprano, who had been unable to make it. Well, let me tell you, she was frickin' amazing. As in, I was having a huge helping of "Holy shit, I have to follow THAT!?!?!?!?!". Breathe, breathe, breathing is good.

So, it was our turn. Right after the fabulous soprano, actually. There were three of us. I sat while the first woman did the recitative, and then she sat while the alto sang. And I had two bars of transition to stand up and trade places with the alto. And I had to sing "Come unto him . . . ", starting on an F. It's unfortunate that I started on C. So, after the first two notes, I stopped and said "Sorry. Can we start again?" He gave me the F, and I started (and then he had to catch up, because he would have given me the intro again, but I just kept going). Anyway, it was good once it got out of the gate. I am very pleased that I actually did it. Of course you all know I was really pissed off at myself because of the bad start, but I got over it by the time we sang the Hallelujah chorus at the end (which is a first for me, usually I beat myself up a lot more). But hey, I didn't fall to pieces even with a bad start, so . . . I guess it will just get easier. Prepare to hear more singing stories, esp in June (apparently there is a recital - hoooold me back!).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats,
have a happy sleepless night

Thu Dec 14, 06:38:00 a.m.  
Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Yay, congrats! You'll have to sing a sample over on my blog. :)

Thu Dec 14, 06:39:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-)

Sat Dec 16, 01:03:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home