Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Popcorn For Dinner

Gotta love movie nights with the oh-so-healthy popcorn dinner (it's one way of getting fibre). It was a girls night of sorts, just a movie (no drinks, even). We went to see Children of Men. For those who know me and my hot man list, yes I picked it (Clive Owen sits close to the top of that list). I knew that it wasn't a chick flick, and so did V., but La Patisseria and her friend Lys thought it would be more futuristc, more like The Handmaid's Tale. Having seen a snippet of the trailer, I knew it wasn't. I enjoyed it in the sense that it was gripping, and I wanted to know what happened, but not in a light-hearted way. Because, truly, it was one depressing and rather scary movie.

The whole premise is similar to The Handmaid's Tale, set in the future where fertility issues are rampant. This goes much further - the youngest person in the world is 18 years old. And Clive's character, Theo, ends up having to protect a pregnant woman, the only one in over 18 years. The Handmaid's Tale is more clinical and science fiction-like, very captivating and a good warning told in a way only Margaret Atwood can weave a tale (and the book is really awesome). Children of Men was so much more disturbing because the fertility issues are the central focus of the plot, but the state of the world overall is what seems to be the looming warning to society. Definitely not the "feel good" movie of the year, but worth watching.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I'm not saying that Children of Men is a bad movie or story but it must have given you indigestion even if you only had popcorn. It was a very dark movie indeed. Its main message is the bleakness and despair. Having one pregnant woman does not mean an end to the problem. There was a dark phase in my life when I would have loved such a movie but not now.

Wed Feb 07, 03:54:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home