Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Friday, May 18, 2007

Sweet & Sour

As in lemon and honey. I need to combine lots of it, and a whole bunch of Advil because I have a wicked sore throat. It started yesterday, but I thought it was just all the singing. I had soup and tea for lunch between my nursery school sessions in hopes that it would help. I got through the afternoon, and then took an Advil before choir. By the end of choir I could tell that this was not just a vocal fatigue sorta thing.

So . . . Hubby and I have our thirteenth anniversary on Monday. Corwin and Clara are going to aunt Kat's to sleep over tomorrow night so that Hubby and I can have the evening to ourselves. We're planning on dinner out. Between my sore throat and the nasty cramps I have, it doesn't seem like a lotta romance is in the cards! Do you think he'll be up for soup and tea for my sore throat?

On a totally different note, I forgot to post about my impromptu cantoring last Sunday. It was the last Sunday for compline (well, the women's compline - the men will sing on the 27th) until September. There were 4 of us to sing, the same 4 that were there the only other time I attended. It's a really nice service, short, and all in the dark except for candles. We sing from the back of the church. Anyway, we rehearse at 8, and sing at 9. Gordon assigned one woman to lead, asked another to be the cantor for the first psalm (both women are regulars and have done this many times before), then he asked me to cantor the second psalm. For a moment I felt paralysed and he told me "you can say no." To which I replied "we're at the back and it's dark so, I'll try it here. If I suck, then I'll say no". I did it. And I did just fine in the church, too. Another piece of the performance anxiety unravelled - it seems I don't like people looking at me, not in a spotlight situation. Hmmmm, I wonder if Awesome Vocal Teacher will let me sing in the dark from the back at my recital? Somehow I doubt it - I've been told I'll have no music so I can better "connect" with the audience. That means eye contact. Damn.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy almost-anniversary! Hope you're feeling better by then! Throw a little whiskey in that lemon & honey and you'll feel better faster... ;)

Sat May 19, 01:19:00 a.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

I skipped the lemon and honey last night and had wine instead. Seems to have worked well :)

Hope the kitchen is comfy!!!

Sat May 19, 09:45:00 a.m.  
Blogger crse said...

I think today is the day! Happy anniversary!

Mon May 21, 02:51:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home