Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Friday, October 05, 2007

Incoming Diva Rant

So by now you all know I have music issues (amongst others, for those likely to point that out). According to AVT (Awesome Voice Teacher), I am a total flute player. I am a top line melody reader who strongly dislikes singing harmony. On flute, I prefer to be first because, frankly, I'm just like that (though not in the new flute choir - I'm not an obviously better player than the others, and I'm happy to be 2nd, third, fourth, and piccolo). I admit I have diva tendencies (though I haven't gotten to the hissy fit or pouting stage . . . yet).

Anyway, in choir, I am a second soprano. This drives me bananas because there are quite a few pieces that have split soprano parts, and the seconds take the lower line. Which is sometimes a bitch to read if it's squished on the same staff as the alto line. And is the harmony to the firsts. But I don't like singing harmony. I can't hear it, I'm not as confident about it and, dammit, I can sing the high notes!!!!! I have dropped hints on a couple of occasions to Gordon, but he says he needs strong singers on all parts. Beck is first and loves singing harmony - she'd actually rather be an alto because she finds it fun (I'd quit first rather than sing alto!!!), but she'd be happy to switch to second. Which is apparently not going to happen, so I'm just biding my time in the mindset of one day, if I work really hard, etc, I'll get "promoted".

So, last night there was a new soprano trying out choir. And fuck if she wasn't a first. I swear, I could feel the pout. It didn't show, but it was there. As was a bit of grumbling and growling. Which lit more of a fire under me to kick ass with my Messiah piece, How Beautiful Are The Feet, this year. And come hell or high water, I will be dressed in a kimono for the June recital, flawlessly singing Un Bel Di from Madame Butterfly. In perfect Italian.

3 Comments:

Blogger crse said...

What if you and Beck just switched places without telling anyone? That might be cool! Or can you just do a polite diva move by saying to Gordon, look i really really hate second soprano?

Sat Oct 06, 09:11:00 a.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Trust me, the switch is not possible - esp because Beck is also first in the second choir director's other choir. He is more likely to insist. And no, Gordon knows. He does need strong singers on all parts - I just wish it wasn't me. I just have to be patient. (Beck is going away to grad school next year. As sad as I will be when she's gone, SOMEONE has to take her spot, right?)

Sat Oct 06, 09:49:00 a.m.  
Blogger Firefly1234 said...

I am so totally opposite from you - despite being a flute player. I love playing and singing harmony. But I still love being first flute when I can! Can't blame it on the bass because I sang alto in church choir long before I started playing bass!

Tue Oct 09, 10:28:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home