Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Accidental Diva

You'd think, that with the whole performance anxiety thing, I would choose more subdued pieces to perform. Well, the Pie Jesu from Faure's Requiem probably fits that description, and the Italian piece that I hated so intensely wasn't my choice, nor was it very common so therefore if I screwed up, it wouldn't be as noticeable.

So what am I thinking, convincing AVT that I want to sing Un bel di vedremo from Puccini's Madama Butterfly? And jumping at the chance to try the soprano part in the duet Sous le dome epais (The Flower Duet) from Lakme, by Delibes. If that isn't recognizable, it just means that people haven't been watching British Airways commercials. I think it has even been used for Whirlpool or another dishwasher/washing machine commercial, too. I think the two extremes of my personality are fighting it out, and the diva side is currently winning!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let the diva win.

Mon Jan 21, 10:53:00 p.m.  
Blogger Margaret said...

I looooooooove the flower duet. OMG, I tear up nearly every time I hear it (not on the BA commercials though). It's so lovely! Can you post a clip of you singing it here? :)

Tue Jan 22, 09:28:00 a.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Gretty - I'm working on it!
Maggie - if I ever perform it and it gets recorded, I will see if I can do that. I just sang it through for the first time yesterday, so it will take a bit of work (at least I can manage French on my own. Italian need some assistance!)

Wed Jan 23, 09:09:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home