Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The Compulsory (and last) Second Soprano Rant

Friends, I have turned over a new leaf. I have accepted my place in this world (well, in the choir, anyway). I am resigned to my fate. Even with Beck's departure, I am still a second soprano.

I had allowed my hopes to raise a tiny little bit when Gordon and I were discussing the new people in the choir - two tenors, an alto, and another woman who said she had sung alto and second soprano when she auditioned. Gordon said he was hoping she was an alto, but she was more of a second soprano and that's where he was placing her. At this point, I asked what he was going to do about the firsts - Beck is gone, and Newfie Postdoc has an interview for her dream job . . . back on the Rock. He said that in that case, he would probably place the new girl as a first. Inside, I was screaming "what about MEEEE!?!?!", but I just smiled and nodded.

Anyway, upon arriving at choir last Thursday, the new girl was placed in the firsts. In Beck's spot. And then they gave her Beck's locker. Hmmm . . . does anyone else see extra reasons besides just the fact that she's a first for me to not embrace her with open arms? But I smiled and said hi. And I smiled about getting to sing the first alto part in this one piece (because that's what we seconds have to do in this choir, since our altos are . . . not so strong). Even though I am unbelieveably pissed off at the crappy, too-low part, I kept my beatific smile on my face. Because I am no longer bitching about it. So, enjoy the rant - it will be my last.

*regarding the new first soprano - I've tried, last Thursday and Sunday, to be friendly and welcoming. I'm done. The word snotty comes to mind.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

who knew choir-church choir at that-could be so cloak and dagger! I LOVE it-almost as good as the school mommy mafias:)

Tue Sep 09, 09:49:00 p.m.  
Blogger Firefly1234 said...

noooo! not the last rant! It can't be. Don't stop now!!!

Fri Sep 12, 12:02:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home