Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Girls' Night

Monday nights are girls' nights at our house. Daddy and Corwin head off to Beavers (for all you American readers, that would be the youngest level of Scouts: Beavers, then Cubs, then Scouts) at around 6:15 pm, leaving Clara and I about an hour to do "girly stuff" before she heads off to bed at 7:30ish. Last night, we did one of her favourite things - painting her toenails. First, she had a relaxing bath - with bubbles, of course. After getting dry and into her pajamas, it was time. A big part of the fun factor for Clara is choosing her colour. We have even had two-tone pedicures, alternating colours on her toes. Last night, she chose "Purple Haze", a pale, iridescent lilac. The first toe is always the most exciting, and she's never been disappointed in her colour choice. "Oooh, Mommy, it's SO pretty" is what I hear every time. Once I get the second coat on, I blow on her toes to speed up the dry time (thank you to all the nail polish companies that make quick-dry products!), and then she takes her first steps with newly painted nails. I love watching the way she moves her feet, turning them from side to side to watch the tiny shell-like toenails catch the light. We've been painting Clara's toenails for several years now (not with a lot of regularity, and I refuse to use remover, so she has to wait until it comes off by itself), but the novelty still hasn't worn off. I hope it doesn't for a very long time. These evenings with my daughter are so precious to me, just as the glittering jewels of her toes are to her.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hashbrown said...

When we become parents, I hope i have beautiful times like this with our child.

Tue Mar 21, 10:25:00 p.m.  
Blogger Clementine said...

Me too. I find myself preparing for all of the stressful times to come once our child arrives. It's nice to realize there will be just as many (if not more) fun and sweet times. Thanks!

Wed Mar 22, 01:24:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like a good time, mother and daughter together. I have a son, so my time will be spend playing with trucks etc but I hope we will have close times as well.(mind you I have seen my nephew with nail polish on his toes and my sister in law comments on how sometimes you do stuff to keep them content) Every minute is prescious.
As for the nail polish, I, at 36ish still love to get my toes painted and I run around asking my hubby, don't they look awesome. In a typical husband response, I get, yes dear. Isn't it nice when the husband knows the correct response.
Here's to many more Mommy and daughter moments.

Wed Mar 22, 02:52:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO ... my daughters toes are stinky little things ... and she's only 11 months old! I hope these smelly little piggies can be made more 'enjoyable' with a little bit of polish one day. *sigh* Why did she inherit her daddy's toes?

Mon Mar 27, 10:30:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home