Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Friday, March 17, 2006

Looks Like We Made It

Well, it is the last day of March Break, and we've actually had a blast (fender bender not included). On Monday, Clara and Corwin had playdates with different friends (one was here with a friend, one next door), and after lunch they went to see a friend's hockey game. He's five, so it wasn't the fighting kind of hockey game. I know I'm from Canada, but I'm just not into hockey (I'm sorry!! Please don't hate me!!). I was pretty relieved, therefore, when neither child came home with a burning desire to take up the sport.

On Tuesday, we went to a movie with a friend (theirs), her brother (who's in grade 7), and their mother, Lola, who's a friend of mine. It was very enjoyable. When I was little, I loved the original (which apparently was the first remake) of the "Shaggy Dog", and this version had quite a few laughs. Be sure to check out the frog-dog (trust me, it needs to be seen, not described). We came back here (after dropping off the brother - lunch with 3 five year olds is where he drew the line!) for pizza and a playdate. Actually, the kids had pizza, but Lola and I had feasted on our buttery popcorn (I'm talking REAL butter), so we decided to wait to eat. When the kids went downstairs to play, I jokingly pulled out a strawberry daiquiri mix from the freezer and said "lunch?". Lola looked at her watch and said "why not?", so soon we had a nice frozen daiquiri to sip while we chatted. The funniest thing about this was when Corwin came up for something and asked what was in my glass. I told him it was fruit punch, and then said "grown-up punch". Lola laughed, and was convinced that I'd said "grown-up lunch", which it kind of was!

Wednesday was a low-key day, and we signed up for soccer for the summer, and just played around here. For the exciting portion of the day, see the previous post!

Yesterday was filled with a trip to the sugar bush with my sister-in-law and her twelve year old son. Corwin and Clara love spending time with their aunt and cousin, so they were excited from the moment we left the house. The kids had a great time on the sleigh ride through the sugar bush, although I think that Charlie and Peggy (the horses) weren't enjoying it quite as much as we were - it was pretty icy. Then we went to see the barn animals. Corwin was thrilled that there was a duck (he has a thing for ducks - when I painted the dining room, he thought I should paint ducks on the wall. I didn't. He wasn't impressed), and several more horses, mostly Belgians and Belgian/quarterhorse cross breeds. Clara just adored the donkey and the sheep. I became a close friend of a pregnant cow (not dairy) by scratching her ears and the spot just behind the bony ridge on her poll (kind of between her ears). She was leaning her head into my hand, turning from side to side the way our dog does! Unlike last year when we went, none of the baby animals had been born yet, so I guess we'll have to go again. We all had lunch, and maple taffy-on -the-snow before heading home.

Which brings us to today. We are going for lunch and bowling (or maybe a movie, it has changed more than once) with Nancyle and her son. I'm thinking that I should bring the camera to capture what is sure to be an interesting and humourous outing. Clara's feet are so small that they don't make bowling shoes in her size, so we have to bring her hard-soled slippers (these would be pink and fluffy with hearts on them). I'm wondering if I can do the same!

4 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Sugar bush! That's hysterical.

Fri Mar 17, 03:34:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Get your mind outta the gutter, Peaches!! We Canadians have the Beaver as our national animal (far less phallic than the bald eagle, wouldn't you say), and we go to the sugar bush in the spring. For those unfamiliar with the term, it's where the Sugar Maples are tapped when the sap starts running. Then the sap is collected and taken to the Sugar Shack and boiled for a very long time, when it magically turns into Maple Syrup!

Sat Mar 18, 01:10:00 a.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

Oh, and Clara was thrilled - her feet have grown and she was able to wear bowling shoes!!!

Sat Mar 18, 01:46:00 p.m.  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

Also, we have to move to Canada if the Beaver is the national animal.

Mon Mar 20, 07:11:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home