Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Monday, March 20, 2006

"Off List" Shopping

I love it when my husband and Corwin go to the grocery store together. They always get what's on the list - unless my husband says that "they were out". Sometimes that's true, but sometimes he just couldn't find it, and wouldn't ask for help (I guess it falls under the men and directions category). The thing I look forward to is what they bring back that wasn't on the list.

Everyone shops off the list to some degree. If the asparagus is in season, and the green beans look withered, I'll substitute. If I see something that we're out of and I forgot to write down, of course I'll buy it. My husband often adds little treats for the kids - a KitKat bar, or a bag of Hershey's Kisses. We aren't slaves to the list. It's just that Corwin picks some interesting items and presents his case for their purchase so logically that my husband can't argue. Once, Corwin found some Apple Snax (little containers of applesauce), and because they had pictures of raspberries with the apples, insisted that Clara would like them. She did. The irony is that she has hated applesauce since she was a baby and we had to mix it with her cereal to get her to eat! Corwin has selected many food items that he thinks other people in the family would like - puddings, little milkshakes in juice box-like containers, orange-cranberry juice, and chips - particularly ketchup-flavoured (those would be for him!).

Corwin is also the master of finding something that he needs to give to me, because "Mommy would really like this". A few weeks ago, I was the recipient of two potted crocus plants. Because "I know you like flowers and spring isn't here yet". Once, it was a candle "because it smelled nice, and you like candles". On several occasions, bouquets of flowers have been presented - once they were the most hideous DYED purple and blue daisies that turned the water an inky, indigo colour, but he chose them because blue was his favourite colour, and purple was Clara's. I kept them until almost every dyed petal had fallen off.

Yesterday, Corwin went to the grocery store with the husband. I figured that some chips and the little milkshakes would be selected. I was right, but Corwin also thought that Mommy needed some flowers. And roses would be a good choice because they are beautiful. The husband suggested pink, but Corwin stated that they should buy red "because red is for your heart and means love". So, a bouquet of 10 red roses came home(large, velvety, just opening buds - and thornless, too!). Not only did I receive roses, but as a special treat for me, Corwin convinced Daddy to buy a pricey piece of Roquefort, because "it's Mommy's favourite, and she hasn't had any in a long time". You've gotta love the logic of a child who thinks to combine sweet-smelling roses, and stinky cheese!

We are getting a new grocery store close by - it's currently under construction. It will be the kind that has not only groceries, but a very expanded section of items for the home (throw pillows, kitchen gadgets, some furniture pieces, more candles, etc). I must say, I am both curious and nervous to see what they may come home with once this new store opens!

4 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

That's so sweet! He's so thoughtful.

Mon Mar 20, 12:39:00 p.m.  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

Gee, I should buy peaches some stinky cheese and roses for our next anniversary!!

Mon Mar 20, 04:10:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are lucky, to have a thoughtful husband and son.
Most women wish they got not only what is on the grocery list buy the sweet little extras.
Keep sending the hubby shopping.

Wed Mar 22, 02:54:00 p.m.  
Blogger Firefly1234 said...

Wow - now that's a boy to encourage!!

Thu Jul 26, 09:44:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home