Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Do You Smell That?

Thirteen Scents That Trigger Specific Memories For Canada

1. Body Shop Cocoa Butter Lotion - reminds me of my trip to Australia in May of 1989. The clerk recommended it for use after swimming a lot, and being in the sun. I had never tried it before, and I used it the whole time I was there. Now, whenever I smell it, it makes me think of Australia.
2. Dove soap and some fresh-smelling deoderant - makes me think of Hubby, esp dancing with him at the "We Survived Initiation" party in first year. Our first dance. And sitting with him the next night on the stairs in my residence with a couple of other people. He still uses Dove.
3. Olay Daily Renewal Body Wash in Calm - reminds me of Corwin and Clara's first days. It was the body wash I took to the hospital, because it has moisturizer in it, and I knew I was having a C-section, and thought it would just be easier (plus less to pack).
4. Fresh Hay - totally reminds me of camp. Feeding the horses early in the morning, when you'd be chilly at the start, and dying of heat by the end.
5. Aveda Bliss Chakra VII shower gel and body spray - The World Congress of Music Theraapy in Oxford, UK in 2002. And then meeting up with Gerhard and driving around, staying in old mills and castles built in 1100. Sadly, it has been discontinued, so I have the pretty much empty shower gel that I can just smell from time to time.
6. The first hint of spring in the air, when the snow is mostly gone, and it starts to smell earthy, not yucky - makes me think of Florida, and visiting my grandparents near Daytona when I was 8? 9? Combine with the sound of a mourning dove and you have it bang on.
7. Dunhill cologne by Alfred Dunhill - PoD. Christmas Ball, 1989.
8. Freesias, esp the spicy scent of the purple and the white - Quincy Market, Boston. Band trip in 1985.
9. Polo by Ralph Lauren - Hoss in high school. It was his signature scent. You could tell if he'd been in the stairwell recently, because the Polo would linger. The poor trumpet section!
10. Bath and Bodyworks Juniper Breeze - The conference in Cleveland. Staying with Bert in the rockin' amazing suite we scored (a crystal chandelier and dining room table!!! A wet bar!!!). The Juniper Breeze products were the hotel shampoo and lotion and soap. Nice!
11. The smell of neoprene, especially wet neoprene - working at the dive shop, and all the fun I had those two summers. (1990 and 1991)
12. Johnson's Baby Wash and Lotion - Corwin and Clara when they were little. I bet every parent has these sort of memories.
13. oil-based paint - the first party my roommate and I had in our apartment after we painted, the Friday of the first week of classes of third year, 1989. Add the smell of gin and tonic with lime, and there was my evening in a nutshell!

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post is offensive to those of us without a sense of smell, I am going to go and cry now. Or maybe I will go and do my first Thursday Thirteen...that is a better idea.

Thu Oct 26, 03:48:00 p.m.  
Blogger Jesse said...

MMmmmmm, paint.

Fri Oct 27, 08:03:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent list. I was just talking (to Bad Idea, actually) about how smell triggers such strong memories... sigh. :)

Fri Oct 27, 10:00:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I. Hate. Beta. I need to remember this list idea. I cant hold them from week to week!

Fri Oct 27, 04:38:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home