Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Monday, November 19, 2007

What? No Room Service?

Yep, it's back to the grind, back at home where, if there was room service, I would be making and delivering it. Not quite as relaxing, but it is nice to be home.

In case anyone figured I was bedridden and hungover all day Saturday (which wouldn't have been surprising considering what I drank: Corona - 7, Jagermeister - 2, tequila - 2) , let me dispel that myth. I made it to my 8 o'clock meeting. Bert had preordered room service, which was served at 7. I managed to pry my eyelids open (though I did briefly think that sunglasses might be required!) and eat about half of my Bananas Foster pancakes (they were huge), and mainline some caffeine. After breakfast, I pulled on some jeans and a comfy shirt, attempted to make myself look awake (even makeup has its limitations), and we headed down to the meeting. I remained awake for the whole thing, and then Bert and I took a stroll to the CVS. Along the way, we stopped in this really cute shop with Kentucky stuff, and picked up some souvenirs. At CVS, I got my Gatorade (yay!), and we headed back. Bert continued to the Louisville Slugger Factory and Museum while I returned to the hotel to chug my Gatorade, have a shower, and go get my book signed by the handsome Brit.

I made it down to the book place at 12:15 (he was supposed to be there at noon) and . . . no sign of him. I panicked and thought that I had missed him, but he had yet to arrive. I wandered around the exhibits and chatted with people, and finally gave up at about 1:05. Of course, just as I was about to get on the escalator going up, I saw him get off the down escalator and really felt like I was stalking him as I walked quickly to catch up. He suddenly turned and headed back and I approached him and said "You are going to the Jessica Kingsley Booth, aren't you?" and he replied in the affirmative, he just needed to get something. I headed down and waited, and was second to get my book signed (some other lady jumped right in when he got there - how rude!). This is when I told him that I was the winner of the one hour consultation with him from the silent auction. We exchanged contact info, and he said I didn't need to feel rushed, there was no expiration date. We decided that I would send him questions in the next month or so, and that we will set up the phone call in January. Big bonus? I don't have to ask research questions if I don't want to. According to him, it's my time to ask whatever I want and I know I will probably ask more autism specific questions.

After this, I was done conference-wise. Bert and I took the bus (and what an experience THAT was) to Mall St Matthews (Pottery Barn!! Bath & Bodyworks!! Williams-Sonoma!! Victoria's Secret!! Cheesecake Factory!!), and we had lunch right away. As it was about 3:30, it was more like a late lunch/early dinner. We were lucky that there was no long wait at the Cheesecake Factory. And sadly, we didn't even have cheesecake. We shopped, and I was smart enough to do the B&BW last (that stuff is heavy). It was about 6:45 when we left, and we took a cab - it just seemed safer.

I planned on going back to Howl at the Moon with JerseyGirl, but she was tired. And I was actually in pajamas when I talked to her. So . . . Bert was asleep by 9:30, and I watched Armageddon on tv, had a long soak in the tub (mmmmm, Black Raspberry Vanilla!!), packed, and was asleep by midnight. Apparently, I missed GayBoy's text that he was back at the bar and I should go meet him. Oh well . . .

Sunday was uneventful. Breakfast, another walk to CVS, and a quick visit with GayBoy before heading to the airport. I managed to get an earlier flight to Philadelphia because my connection time was tight. And then, of course, my flight home was delayed. We took off shortly after our initial arrival time. But I made it home, through customs with no problems, and my luggage arrived so all is good.

As with any time away, the return to reality is harsh when looking at the mountain of laundry. You know what I'll be doing today . . . all the while thinking wistfully of room service.

2 Comments:

Blogger Firefly1234 said...

Good lord - one would think you are still in your twenties! How could you possibly down all that and still be walking the next day? If I have TWO, count them, one, two, TWO drinks I repeat (just in case you didn't get it the first time ;-)) and I'm feeling positively miserable the next day. And that's without mixing!!

LOL - sounds like you had fun. BTW, my cousin's wife is an art therapist.

Mon Nov 26, 09:20:00 a.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

I AM still in my twenties . . . ohhhh, you mean chronologically, not maturity :)

Art therapy is also very cool.

Wed Nov 28, 01:48:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home