Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Blog Obsession

As in obsessed with reading other people's. I started this blog after my friend, Peaches, started hers. I really enjoyed reading it, about her life and her marriage and her home day care. Then, Peaches' wife, Petunia, started one. Again, I thoroughly enjoyed reading her blog. The really awesome part is that I only get to see Peaches and Petunia once or twice a year, at conferences that Petunia and I attend for music therapy, but I have felt so much more part of their lives because I'm hearing about day to day stuff that's important to them - while it's still current. I also started linking to other blog links that they have. And I couldn't believe how obsessed I was. "Yes, YelloCello" wrote beautifully about expecting her first baby, and some in-law stuff, and playing her cello for the baby in-utero, and then it was around her due date and the postings stopped. OH MY GOD!!!! Did she have a boy? A girl? Was she in labour? Was her mother-in-law there yet? Driving her crazy yet? (actually, I knew the answer to that one - I have a mother-in-law, too). I couldn't get over how involved I was in this woman's life, and I'd never met her. It was days before she finally posted again. It was a boy, and it all went well (pictures and everything - he's gorgeous).

So, when I finally started my blog, I went with Canada because that's what I use to post on Peaches and Petunia's blogs. And I have gathered several other blogs that I read regularly. One day, I'll put them here as links. When (if?) I ever figure out how to do that (again, not a computer nerd - and I say nerd with abject admiration for those people who can make their computers do what they want them to do, without getting all kinds of "illegal operation" messages or other stuff that makes me think my computer is laughing at me!). Anyway, one of these blogs that I link to both from Peaches and Petunia is SBFH, who posts as Psycho Kitty. She has quite the sense of humour, especially considering that she is a single mom of two (one boy, one girl) who just went through the whole listing/selling/moving house thing, as well as all the other stuff we all deal with in day to day life. I have posted a couple of comments on her blog - one a book suggestion, and one in agreement with an issue regarding tv and advertising. Imagine my surprise this evening to discover that her latest post starts out "Canada's response to. . . ". Cool. I feel like I'm famous. In an anonymous kinda way, of course.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hashbrown said...

Hey Canada,
Thank you. You are so kind. I also feel much closer to you now reading about your daily life and your thoughts. Psycho Kitty is actually a dear friend from way back. She does write wonderfully and is as great of a person as she portrays in her blog.

Thu Mar 23, 10:50:00 a.m.  
Blogger Clementine said...

I agree with you completely about getting to know friends better through their daily posts. I love hearing what you and your family are doing, and I feel like we're getting closer because of our blogs. That's rad! And I'm also semi-obsessed with strangers' blogs, especially Granny Gets a Vibrator. I live for Liz--she's such an ass-kicker!

Thanks for succumbing to peer pressure and starting your blog. I read it everyday!

Thu Mar 23, 12:43:00 p.m.  
Blogger muse said...

Hiya! First visit! :) My blog has been way boring in the last few days, been sick and overworked, so don't look... LOL But I wanted to say hi! (came here from your comment on PK's blog)

Fri Mar 24, 12:55:00 a.m.  
Blogger nancycle said...

The case of the missing post has been rectified. Fuel your obsession and come over for a visit!

Sun Mar 26, 08:54:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home