Just Jump In

Get your feet wet!

Monday, March 27, 2006

Trouble

Remember the game "Trouble"? With the clear plastic popper in the centre, so that you never lost the dice? I loved that game when I was little. I didn't own it, but it was fun to play whenever I went to a friend's house. I guess it must have been these fond memories that prompted my purchase of "Trouble" at Christmas. WHAT was I thinking?

"Mom, Mom, wanna play Trouble?" This is at 7:42 am. SEVEN FORTY-TWO!!!! Corwin wants to play before I've even had coffee. That's just wrong. So. . . we postpone 'til after breakfast. We play. Oh, for a 6. I am trapped, popping in vain, waiting for the elusive 6 in order to get my players on the board. Elusive, that is, for me. Somehow, Corwin is the King of the 6. The kid should go to Vegas. It's actually obscene. And he keeps saying "Why do I always get sixes? How come I'm so good at it?" Yeah, thanks, rub it in that some of us are unable to get a single 6!! Clara is somewhat in between - more sixes than Mom, less than her brother. The game moves along and FINALLY. . . I pop a 6. Here we go, around the board. Until I get bumped. No big deal, it's a game, back to waiting, waiting, waiting for a 6. That's if Mom gets bumped. Man, the tears that flowed after Corwin and Clara got bumped in the first few games we played!! Trying to explain that it's a game, it's not personal, it's all in fun. . . didn't go very far. Now, we have rules. "Trouble" is not allowed if anyone is tired. It is definitely not a before-bed, end-of-a-busy-day kinda game. Both kids can handle the bump factor early in the day, but frustration and tiredness just don't mix. So, the game continues. It's a close one - Corwin must pop a 1 to get his last piece home, and Clara needs 2. I still need a 6 to get my last player out and around. Not likely! A winner!!! "Let's play again, Mom!"
Pop. . .
Pop. . .
Pop. . .
Pop. . . . . . sigh. . . . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Do your kids ever make you play Pretty Pretty Princess?

Mon Mar 27, 02:30:00 p.m.  
Blogger Canada said...

I have looked. I cannot find it. My internship supervisor (a man) told me about playing with his daughter. And how wonderful his balding head looked topped with a tiara. Where can I find one? DO you think there is a place in Meriden to get one? (if I have room amongst the Bass shoes and Pottery Barn catalogues. And the Bath & Bodyworks products - that stuff is HEAVY!)

Mon Mar 27, 06:22:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we play a lot of trouble here and once everyone realizes it's nothing personal (in most cases:), all is good given well rested and humoured children. I can wait longer than it takes to catch a bus outside of rush hour before I 'pop' a 6 sometimes.
Here's hoping I'm luckier in Vegas-where it's really gonna count!
Lola
BTW-what is pretty pretty princess?!?!?

Mon Mar 27, 07:33:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will have to go shopping for pretty pretty princess. You will love it. Actually, your daughter will LOVE it.

At work, Trouble is not as popular as Sorry which come in a distant second to Uno, the game that spans all languages and age barriers.

Mon Mar 27, 08:29:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home